How Do I Reconnect? 

How do I become a member of the UMBC Alumni Association?
At UMBC, you are an “Alum From Day One.” All UMBC graduates are automatically members of the UMBC Alumni Association for life, and for absolutely no membership fee. Get your membership card today! To see all the advantages of being a member of the UMBC Alumni Association, check out our Alumni Perks and Services pages.

How do I update my address, name or other information?
Simply click here to access an online form to update all your information, and tell us how you are doing! You may also simply send us an e-mail with your new information at We also hope you will consider submitting a Class Note to UMBC Magazine; information you share there will be updated in our alumni records.

How do I subscribe to the Alumni E-Triever?
The UMBC Alumni E-Triever is a free monthly e-newsletter containing alumni news, events and discounts, as well as information about jobs, athletics, the arts and more. All UMBC alumni with current e-mail addresses will automatically receive the Alumni E-Triever via e-mail at the beginning of each month. If you're not receiving it, please update your e-mail address in the alumni directory.

How do I get in touch with a former classmate or professor?
When you log on to Retriever Net, UMBC’s alumni directory, you can easily search for and make contact with lost friends online. If the alum you are seeking hasn't registered with Retriever Net, or has chosen not to disclose his or her information, you may also contact a member of Alumni Relations at or 410-455-ALUM with the name of the person you want to contact, along with your current address, home phone and work phone numbers. In the interest of privacy, we will send the person you seek a card that includes your contact information so that they may initiate contact. To contact former professors, you may use the UMBC Directory.

How do I support UMBC?
Alumni of UMBC support the university in many ways. In addition to contributing online, you may send a check (made out to the UMBC Foundation) to: The Office of Institutional Advancement, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250. You may also speak with one of the phonathon representatives when they call you, or contact a UMBC development officer at or 410-455-ALUM for information on how to allocate your gift to a particular department or scholarship. To learn about additional ways of supporting UMBC, visit the UMBC Giving Site.

Many alumni choose to give their time to UMBC by volunteering at various events. If you're interested in volunteering, hosting an alumni event, serving on a committee, or acting as a career mentor, please contact Alumni Relations at or by calling 410-455-ALUM.

How do I continue my education at UMBC?
UMBC offers many ways for you to continue your education. The UMBC Graduate School offers options for completing a master’s or doctoral degree in many exciting fields. Or, take part in a professional development course through UMBC's Training Centers, which offer classes in everything from computers to human resource management. UMBC's ACTiVATE program also offers special entrepreneurial training for women.

How do I get to the UMBC Alumni House?
The Alumni House is located at 5451 Wilkens Avenue, Catonsville, MD 21228. Get directions here.   

How do I tell the difference between alumnus, alumna, alumni and alumnae?
The word alumnus is used to refer to one male graduate; alumna refers to one female graduate. The word alumni is used when referring to a group of male graduates, however it is also used as a collective term for alumni of both genders. Alumnae is used in referring to a group of exclusively female graduates.

How do I know where to park on campus?
Visitor parking is available in metered lots. Please note that because of construction on campus, parking around the campus loop is restricted to cars with hangtags. To read more about the campus parking policy, and to see a map of metered areas, please visit the parking website

How do I access my Information?

How do I get a copy of my transcript or diploma?
You may request a copy of your transcript through the Office of the Registrar. To request a copy of your diploma, please visit the "Duplicate Diploma Ordering" section of the registrar's website. If you have questions, call the Registrar's Office at 410-455-2500.

How do I find out about the status of my UMBC e-mail account?
UMBC student e-mail accounts are maintained by the Office of Information Technology. For questions about a student e-mail account, please call the DoIT Technology Support Center at 410-455-3838.

How do I access alumni perks?

How do I get an alumni membership card?
Your alumni membership will grant you access to several campus facilities as well as discounts. You may request your card by completing this form.

How do I find help with employment?
The Career Services Center (CSC) offers placement services for alumni of UMBC. There may be a small fee for their services. Visit the CSC Online or call 410-455-2216, and be sure to identify yourself as a graduate of UMBC.

How do I use the library, the gym or other UMBC facilities?
To use the Albin O. Kuhn Library, you must first request a free alumni card. Before visiting the Library, please note that you may need to provide additional forms of identification before they issue a library card. For information on access to library resources and borrowing privileges, please visit these library-maintained pages: Library Cards and Special Borrower Privileges.

To use the Retriever Activities Center (pool, weight room, cardiovascular equipment, basketball courts, etc.), alumni pay a discounted rate of $250 per year. Family memberships are also available. To find out more, contact the RAC front desk at 410-455-8888 or visit the RAC online.

How do I get a UMBC license plate?
The UMBC Alumni Association is pleased to offer UMBC affinity license plates from the MVA to Maryland residents for just $30. Each sale brings $5 into the Association's program fund, which helps provide services, events and programs to all alumni. To obtain your application, please contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 410-455-ALUM, e-mail or download a PDF version here.
How do I apply for an Alumni Association scholarship?
Current undergraduate students meeting certain criteria may apply for general Alumni Association scholarships. Students whose mother or father is an alum of UMBC may also apply for the Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship. For information, or to apply, click here or call 410-455-ALUM.