Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the
Esperanza Scholarship Award is to provide scholarship support to UMBC
undergraduate and graduate students of Latino or Hispanic ancestry and
or students committed to the advancement of minorities especially of
Latino or Hispanic descent. For the 2020-2021 academic year, at least one scholarship will be awarded in the amount of at least $1300. Recipients will be notified in June 2020 and funds will be posted to student accounts for fall 2020 semester. Rising seniors anticipating graduation in May 2020 are not eligible to apply.
The student selected to receive this award should:
- Be a full-time, undergraduate or graduate, degree-seeking
student in good standing at UMBC. All applicants must be at least a 2nd
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA (preferred).
- Submit a resume.
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a faculty member with whom applicant has taken a course or a community member with whom the applicant has participated in community service.
- Complete all questions on application form.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the advancement of minorities especially
of Latino or Hispanic descent by reflecting a pattern of service to the
community, extracurricular activities, or other community involvement.
- If selected, recipient must participate in the selection of next year's Esperanza Scholarship recipient AND participate in a recognition dinner, which will be held in September 2020, date TBD.
Transfer and international students are encouraged to apply.
If you have questions, please contact Bernadette Darby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 1, 2020